Friday 31 October 2014

Creating your 60 second elevator pitch

The second time I pitched MyCarGossip was just as scary as the first time. This time I went along to an event at the Google Campus Tech Hub to learn how to create your 60 second elevator pitch.

Google Campus Tech Hub Workshop

I went to the workshop which was extremely useful, we had to think about the most "sexy" parts of our business to tell people about in just 60 seconds so that they want to hear more.

We were told about what investors are listening out for, all they hear is revenue and money so we need to be telling them about how they are going to get their money back. We need to tell them why we are worth investing in.

Here are the main things that we were told we need to include in our 60 second elevator pitch:

  • What problem are you solving?
  • What is your USP?
  • Who is your competition and why are you better?
  • What is your revenue model (Sum it up in a second)
  • What is your addressable market? How do you know? Do you have a track record?
  • Who is your team?

At the end of the session they mentioned an event happening the following week where around 30 start ups will be doing their 60 second elevator pitch at the Tech Hub. I knew that I should take part so I signed myself up to put what I had just learnt into practice.

How to do a creative elevator pitch:

We were told that we had to do the 60 second pitch "Creatively" to stand out.

I was terrified all week and practised non stop so that I knew my elevator pitch off by heart.

I bought a large card board cut out of a car and stuck the letters "MyCarGossip" across it. I then asked my sister to come along to support me and to sit inside the car.


I was so nervous when I actually pitched, I was shaking so much but once I had finished, I felt like I had done a really great job and I was really pleased that I signed up to do it.

I even got tweeted about!

























And a girl asked to have her picture taking with me and the car!


It was a great experience and I would recommend everyone to sign up to do short fun pitches to get extra brand awareness and to practice doing your elevator pitch.






No comments:

Post a Comment